Car accidents happen every day. Sometimes hardly any damage occurs, but there are chances of ending up with severe injuries. Here are the basic steps to take if you ever find yourself in a vehicle collision.
As scary as an accident can be, you need to remain calm. Here are some helpful tips on what to do:
- Stop and pull off to the side of the road if you can
- Check on everyone in your car and the other vehicle
- Call an ambulance if anyone is hurt, even if it is minor
- Call the police, so a report can be filed
- Tell the officer who arrives everything that happened objectively
- Get the other driver’s insurance and contact information
- Speak with any witnesses nearby who can attest to what really happened
- Take pictures of your car, the other car and the surrounding streets
- Call your insurance agency to inform them that a collision has taken place
- Hire an attorney if you believe this could go to court
As you are speaking with people, you want to be mindful you do not admit blame. This could work to your disadvantage if this event has to go to court. Call Law Offices of Jeffrey A. Garrety, P.C. if you are ever in need of a car accident lawyer.